Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Nana's Thread


My "Nana" is the one who first inspired me to sew (second being my mother-in-law). My Nana passed away several years ago. When I was little, she had a big bag of leftover fabric squares in her closet. I would visit her house, which was next door, and play in the fabric. I remember making little square pillows by hand. They weren't the greatest, but I was a little girl and I tried my best! I also remember seeing her in her own homemade dresses.

During the month of December, I went back home to visit family (this is why I haven't sewed anything in a month!) I saw my Nana's old sewing machine stand and started looking through the drawers. I found a lot of her old thread. Since I am the only one in my family that sews, I asked if I could have it! I thought it was neat to go through her old sewing things. My dad even showed me a suitcase filled with old fabrics. I wasn't ready to take it quite yet, but maybe in the future, I can be creative and make a few things with it!

Now that I am back home, I hope to sew a few things in the new year. I saw a lot of handmade fabric ornaments over the break that I wanted to try to make. I also want to start making a few dresses for my daughter. But first, I need to get my home organized for the New Year and hope to get more sewing started in January!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Best of luck with your sewing, hopefully this year will bring out the creativity in us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be careful using old thread, it can break a lot easier over time!
    Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete